Our health system is broken, and it’s a huge problem. Costs are rising out of control while the patient experience gets worse. At Sana, we're passionate about fixing this problem by bringing accessible and affordable health plans to small and medium businesses. We've built an innovative team with top talent from across the health insurance and tech industries to create engaging, modern plans for our clients. This allows our customers to offer competitive benefits packages while paying an average of 20% less than traditional plans.
Sana is looking for a Controller to join our small but growing Finance team. The ideal candidate brings a strong background in traditional accounting, experience leading an accounting team, and a track record of rapidly creating and evolving financial systems and processes in a scaling startup environment.
We are building a distributed team and encourage all applicants to apply, regardless of location, if authorized to work in the USA.
What you will do
- Own Sana’s accounting standards and processes. Your team will maintain all financial records in Quickbooks, perform monthly account reconciliation and transaction categorization, and update financial models to reflect results.
- Lead and implement process / system changes and improvements to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Evaluate and lead a possible migration to a new ERP system.
- Manage a small team that will be responsible for accounts payable, and day to day accounting tasks.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate employee spending policies.
- Work with engineering to continuously improve internal payment tools.
- Lead the drive toward producing auditable financials including:
- Ensure policies and procedures comply with professional standards and regulatory requirements. Ensure that we are in GAAP compliance.
- We will be moving from cash to accrual accounting. You will be responsible for managing that process.
- Lead a restructuring of Sana’s financial statements to more accurately capture business fundamentals.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant, hands-on professional experience. Ideally, you have experience at both a Big 4 accounting firm and in an operational role at a venture-backed startup.
- First principles thinker who works creatively and flexibly to find the right process solutions within the context of our business model and stage of growth.
- Proficiency in Quickbooks and Excel. Ideally, you have a knowledge of a variety of accounting software tools and think critically about which tools are appropriate for us.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills – be able to explain financial concepts in easy-to-understand terms to people at different levels in the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- CPA preferred.
- Bonus points for experience in the health insurance industry, and people management experience.
Sana is a modern health plan solution for small and medium businesses. We use a more efficient financing structure and integrated technology solutions to cut out wasteful spending and get members access to better quality care at lower cost. Founded in 2017, we are an experienced team of engineers, designers and health system operators. We have the financial backing of Silicon Valley venture firms and innovative reinsurance partners. If you are excited about building something new and being a part of fixing our broken healthcare system from the inside, please reach out!