Overview Of BNY Mellon:
BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets throughout the investment lifecycle. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment and wealth management and investment services in 35 countries. As of March 31, 2021, BNY Mellon had $41.7 trillion in assets under custody and/or administration, and $2.2 trillion in assets under management. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments. BNY Mellon is the corporate brand of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation (NYSE: BK). Additional information is available on www.bnymellon.com. Follow us on Twitter @BNYMellon or visit our newsroom at www.bnymellon.com/newsroom for the latest company news.
The role of the Economic Sanctions Coordinator is primarily to assist the EMEA Head of Sanctions and Deputy Head of Sanctions in the development and maintenance of a robust sanctions framework for the EMEA Region ensuring compliance with all applicable sanctions programs. The role includes leading core elements of the framework for EMEA, including: timely regulatory analysis, rule and controls mapping, supporting policy development and maintenance, training & awareness, in order to support BNY Mellon Lines of Business and Legal Entities in complying with regulatory requirements and expectations and with corporate compliance policies.
• Assist the EMEA Head of Sanctions and Deputy Head of Sanctions in the oversight of the EMEA sanctions / screening compliance program as stipulated by the Global Economic Sanctions Policy, the EMEA Economic Sanctions Policy and Global Anti-Money Laundering Policy.
• On occasion, deputise as the Regional Compliance Officer in relation to the requirements within the Global Economic Sanctions Policy, including knowledge of relevant business/business partners and their clients, products/services, vendors, employees, other static data and transactions.
• OFAC / Economic Sanctions Compliance Program: Ensure that each business/business partner has implemented an appropriate OFAC/Economic Sanctions Compliance Program and assist with enhancement and developments as necessary.
• Sanctions Advisory: Provide subject matter expertise on US, UK and EU economic sanctions laws, regulations and requirements in the UK and EMEA to regional business and business partners as required. In conjunction with the Legal Department and other members of Sanctions Compliance, evaluate new products and services prior to implementation to identify and respond to regulatory compliance concerns. Serve as escalation point for sanctions issues within EMEA.
• Policies and Procedures: Develop and maintain relevant policies and procedures, including appropriate controls in conjunction with Business Sanction Coordinators and MLROs. Provide input to global policy updates.
• Regulatory Analysis: Respond rapidly to new sanctions developments; Assist in analysis of new and amended sanctions related regulations impacting the UK and EU and their applicability in the wider EMEA region. Working with global, regional and local colleagues, take a leading role on gap analyses, as required, to consider the impact on individual business lines and legal entities, including advising on screening requirements for clients and transactions against EU and local sanctions lists in the UK, EU and EMEA region. Ensure appropriate support for regulatory projects within impacted areas.
• Assist in the identification and response to potential conflicts of law or regulatory expectation among relevant jurisdictions
• Economic Sanctions Awareness & Training: Conduct periodic training needs analysis and design and deliver targeted economic sanctions training in light of that analysis to increase awareness of economic sanctions obligations and internal compliance responsibilities, helping to promote a culture of compliance and control.
• Assist Business Operations and Technology with the implementation of electronic filter/screening solutions or other appropriate monitoring processes and enhancements thereto applicable in the EU, the UK and wider region.
• Assist with the regional preparation of annual blocked property reports.
• Assist with the development of the periodic sanctions risk assessments and review and comment on EMEA business and legal entity submissions.
• Review OFAC surveys and Data Lineage Card Submissions prepared by the businesses and coordinate their presentation to the Global Economic Sanctions Advisory Group.
• From time to time act as EMEA representative on the Global Economic Sanctions Advisory Group.
• Governance and MI, Escalation and Reporting: In conjunction with EMEA Head of Economic Sanctions and the MLRO ensure regular economic sanctions updates are provided to the regional Anti-Money Laundering oversight Committee (EAMLOC) and the Global Economic Sanctions Advisory Group, including escalation of significant issues and also development of MI.
• Liaising with colleagues/peers in other jurisdictions on Regional Economic Sanctions programme matters and issues of common interest
• Using industry experience to make well informed decisions that have positive impact on the strategic direction of the function and by providing technical advice to the team.
Extensive Economic Sanctions / Compliance / Legal experience
Thorough knowledge of laws, regulations and expectations of European and UK Regulators
Working knowledge of US sanctions; knowledge of other foreign sanctions laws and regulations an advantage
Ability to work under time pressure in calm, professional manner in an environment of change
Strong analytical skills, problem-solving ability and attention to detail
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
The ability to handle stressful situations with internal clients and regulators, while maintaining a professional approach to problem solving
Strong planning skills
Collaborative approach and ability to work well within a team environment
Proven sound judgment
Ability to take on and complete tasks with minimal oversight
Ability to drive compliance requirements in the business and achieve results
Experience of working in a global firm an advantage
Experience of working with regulatory bodies an advantage
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team – one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve – and to empower our team to do their best work. We support well-being and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.