Platform Engineering is responsible for the implementation, 24x7 operational support, automation, availability, and performance management of the CareFirst cloud platforms and the on-premise virtualization platforms and virtualization infrastructure.
The candidate is required to support engineering team projects and facilitate technical design discussions as well as troubleshooting activities. This candidate is also responsible to work with multi-disciplined IT technical teams to interface and manage infrastructure, automation, and applications in the public cloud with a focus on (but not limited to) AWS and Microsoft Azure. They need to contribute valuably to the evaluation of application and infrastructure cloud readiness, work on cloud migration plans to support on-premise moves/migrations to a cloud service (i.e. IaaS or PaaS) as well as the long-term management of the Cloud infrastructure associated with these applications.
Candidate must have a strong and broad foundational IT skillset including support of Azure server virtualization environments, Linux and Windows Operating Systems (in both on-prem and cloud deployments), server configurations and baselines (including networking, storage and security principals), Containerization environments (i.e., Tanzu/Kubernetes), automation tools (i.e., Ansible, Terraform). The candidate must also have a strong understanding and working knowledge with critical IT services such as Active Directory/Azure Active Directory, DNS, Virtualization (VMware/Hyper-V), IaaS, PaaS, Containers, Automation, Azure Marketplace.
Responsibilities include working with server teams as well as with other IT teams to collaborate on designing and implementing cloud infrastructure services. This is a highly technical cross-functional role that understands all components of IT infrastructure (operating systems, network, compute, storage, security, etc.), and knows how to integrate and automate each of the components using automation tools, like Ansible, and being able to integrate these with ServiceNow to build workflows for automated server/system/infrastructure builds/deliveries.
Public Cloud & Virtualization Services Management:
• Help to build and maintain a hybrid cloud infrastructure design incorporating the on-premises VMware Platform with large cloud providers such as Amazon Webservices (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
• Collaborate with multi-disciplined technical teams to manage and monitor applications in large cloud environments.
• Contribute to the evaluation of application cloud readiness while also working on migration plans and long-term management of applications.
• Work with Architecture to design Cloud platforms to support the highest levels availability, performance, security, and agility.
• Implement cost transparency, disaster recovery and business resiliency best practices and technologies.
• Implement process and procedures as well as the creation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documentation enhancing and standardizing the support of the Cloud Platforms on documented best practices.
• Ensure that each cloud platform complies with well-established policies, standards, licensing agreements and configuration guidelines.
• Administer/Support DNS infrastructure across all CareFirst environments.
• Assist in administering Active Directory for the highest levels of security and availability.
• Understand and apply new technical skills through a combination of research, instructor lead training and self-training.
• Lead the review, design and implementation of new technologies that improve infrastructure or reduce cost.
• Provide excellent customer service to all customers, both internal and external. Exhibit poise and confidence when working with and communicating to our customers and vendors.
• Act as an interface to members of the IT infrastructure team, keeping management and peers informed, and disseminating information as needed.
• Utilize strong troubleshooting capabilities to diagnose and resolve problems and escalate to next level of support as necessary.
• Working knowledge of agile-sprint and traditional waterfall project management methodologies. Ability to track and report on status of projects assigned.
• Assist in problem management and root cause analysis.
• Familiar with change management concepts/processes.
• Work independently and cross-functionally with others to resolve problems. Teams may include internal associates as well as outside contractors/consultants