Global Science & Technology, Inc., a fast growing scientific and high technology firm, is seeking an experienced Scientist or Remote Sensing expert with strong organizational skills to support a major NOAA contract located in College Park, MD.
The successful candidate will work with a group of scientists and programmers at the Satellite Oceanography and Climatology Division (SOCD) under the NOAA Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR). The position is long term and the successful candidate will engage in research and programming to support the interfacial nature of the coastal zone, bridging aquatic, terrestrial, atmospheric, and anthropogenic domains. Timely, accurate, and consistent scientific-based assessments, monitoring and forecasting of water quality are crucial across global, regional, and local scales and the candidate will be expected to understand their complexities. Responsibilities could include providing support for SOCD water quality work with technical options to work on applications of AI algorithms and working on an SOCD enterprise approach toward moving SOCD science work to the cloud.
• M.S. degree or Ph.D. in Physics, Oceanography, Remote Sensing or Engineering
• 8-10 years of experience working in the physical sciences and/or remote sensing. Strong preference will be given to applicants that have experience in the ocean sciences.
• An ability to understand scientific software and scientific process.
• Knowledge of computer processes
• Teamwork, strong inter-personal skills, good communication skills, strong analytical skills
• Understanding of satellite remote sensing and satellite oceanography, processing of satellite images to produce environmental data.
• Understanding of details of coastal ocean science
• Geospatial analysis and data visualization
• Programing skills in MATLAB, Python, Fortran, IDL and other similar languages.
Physical Qualification(s) Required:
• Ability to use a computer.
Mental Qualification(s) Required:
• Ability to think on one’s feet.
U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder) is required.
Selected applicants will be subject to a government background investigation.
GST offers competitive salaries; vacation, sick, and holiday leave; major medical, dental, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance; 401K retirement plan; tuition assistance; and opportunities for employee career growth and development.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans' status. GST is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.