the objective of this assignment is to support the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development (MPED) in strengthening public investment appraisal capacities through introducing CBA and CEA as key standard tools for appraising, prioritizing and selecting high impact, low-cost public investment projects. MESR envisions accomplishing this objective by applying a mentoring approach with active involvement of the GOE representatives and in two phases as outlined below.
Hence, within the scope to support MPED, MESR has already hired a lead expert to equip the MPED staff dealing with investment appraisal with comprehensive training on the use of CBA and CEA in appraising investment projects in productive and services sectors using case studies on different sectors that would enhance the capacity of Government partners in the appraisal of public investment projects. The services sectors that the CBA will focus on are: (1) Transport; (2) Health; (3) Education and (4) Water and Sanitation. Therefore, MESR project seeks to hire a Senior Economic Advisor to develop one case study on CBA in the Education Sector. The government institutions directly or indirectly involved in project financing related policy and strategy development activities will be the main beneficiaries of these case studies.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
Per the assignment purpose above, the Senior Economic Advisor will primarily engage in delivering one comprehensive case study on CBA in Education and the provision of specific training materials. The main activities of the consultancy will include, but are not limited to:
1. Conduct literature review of relevant material in the area of interest.
2. Write a short report on international experiences and best practices on CBA in the Education Sector.
3. Carry out meetings with relevant entities to identify one project to be selected for the Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) case study.
4. Review real projects available in the Education Sector and choose the most appropriate one from the Integrated System for Investment Plan Preparation and Monitoring (ISPPM) that fits to be a case study in the context of a comprehensive training on CBA. This will involve going in details through the process of identifying both costs and effectiveness in this Education Sector project, including comprehensive identification of all relevant costs, and appropriate measurement of costs and effectiveness.
5. Perform CBA calculations on the selected project and prepare the excel sheets with all detailed equations and results.
6. Provide conclusions on CBA in the case study, which enables comparison of specific interventions in light of their costs and effectiveness.
7. Provide all needed feasibility studies in relation to the case study.
8. Develop a case study on one real Education project and revise it with the lead expert of this activity.
9. Provide some theoretical and practical information/ literature review that can be considered a base for the training material focusing on CBA in Education sector to customize them to the situation in Egypt.
10. Provide guidance on any necessary pre-training activities to be carried out by the training team.
11. Attend the relevant sessions to Education sector in the CBA training course and mentor the trainees in the parts related to the developed case study and provide them with on-the-job training, applied on real projects from the Education sector.
12. Write a final post–training report that includes his/her detailed contribution to the training course through explaining the Education case study and on-the-job training for Education employees, in addition to recommendations regarding the needs for applying CBA and CEA by public employees and challenges they are facing in this regard.