Preparation of Case Studies on Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) for Appraising Investment Projects in The Water and Sanitation Sector
The objective of this assignment is to support the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development (MPED) in strengthening public investment appraisal capacities through introducing CBA and CEA as key standard tools for appraising, prioritizing and selecting high impact, low-cost public investment projects. MESR envisions accomplishing this objective by applying a mentoring approach with active involvement of the GOE representatives and in two phases as outlined below.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
Per the assignment purpose above, the Senior Economic Advisor will primarily engage in delivering one comprehensive case study on CBA in Water and Sanitation sector and the provision of specific training materials. The main activities of the consultancy will include, but are not limited to:
1. Conduct literature review of relevant material in the area of interest.
2. Write a short report on international experiences and best practices on CBA in the Water and Sanitation Sector.
3. Carry out meetings with relevant entities to identify one project to be selected for the Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) case study.
4. Review real projects available in the Water and Sanitation Sector and choose the most appropriate one from the Integrated System for Investment Plan Preparation and Monitoring (ISPPM) that fits to be a case study in the context of a comprehensive training on CBA. This will involve going in details through the process of identifying both costs and benefits in this Water and Sanitation Sector project, including comprehensive identification of all relevant costs, and appropriate measurement of costs and benefits.
5. Perform CBA calculations on the selected project and prepare the excel sheets with all detailed equations and results.
6. Provide conclusions on CBA in the case study, which enables comparison of specific interventions in light of their costs and effectiveness.
7. Provide all needed feasibility studies in relation to the case study.
8. Develop a case study on one real water and sanitation project and revise it with the lead expert of this activity.
9. Provide some theoretical and practical information/ literature review that can be considered a base for the training material focusing on CBA in Water and Sanitation sector to customize them to the situation in Egypt.
10. Write a final post–training report that includes his/her detailed contribution to the training course through explaining the Water and Sanitation case study and on-the-job training for Water and Sanitation employees, in addition to recommendations regarding the needs for applying CBA and CEA by public employees and challenges they are facing in this regard.