Become an integral part of a diverse team. Currently, DIGITALSPEC is seeking an experienced, motivated, career and customer-oriented Senior Physicist/Lead to join our team.
Location: Sterling, VA
Education: Must have a Ph.D. in nuclear, fusion, or condensed matter physics with at least 3 years of postdoctoral experimental experience or industry experience as a principal scientist, preferably AMO, vacuum science, or other fields utilizing single-particle detection methods and spectroscopy.
Clearance: U.S. Citizens Only who have resided in the US for the past 5 years. Must be able to obtain a CBP SSBI clearance with DHS.
Looking for a highly resourceful and motivated candidate who is hands-on in three areas: low-energy nuclear physics, data science, and development SME on the program in providing services to DHS/CBP. The candidate will have experience working on and managing small projects in a research group, hands-on with building equipment and software, electronics, and mechanical design. The candidate will serve as project(s) leader and mentor to assigned scientists and developers and determines project scope, timelines, and implementation details.
• Liaises with external government entities (client and support organizations). Invents and implements methods and algorithms for threat determination and failure analysis.
• Writes and reviews code to accomplish mission goals.
• Gives input on staffing levels and allocation.
• Reviews change requests and proposals; strategizes future operations.
• Must be able to develop a clear vision of projects and move quickly to build a proof of concept.
• Must have demonstrated professional experience in analytic technical writing.
• Excellent oral communicator with significant public speaking experience.
• Understanding of common modes of nuclear detection, particularly scintillation, proportional counting, and multi-channel analysis.
• Understanding of modes of nuclear decay and spectral signatures of each type.
• Knowledge of nuclear technology, including reactors and threats.
• Knowledge of X-ray (MeV energy) imaging of large objects is plus.
• Mastery of Python, including software design, and implementation in built-in classes and data structures.
• Experience with common scientific toolsets using Pandas/NumPy/SciPy/Sci-Kit Learn and Jupyter.
• Knowledge of Keras/TensorFlow or Torch is greatly preferred.
• Mastery of systems-level, object-oriented languages, including at least one of C++, C#, or Java.
• Deep knowledge of data structures and algorithms, operating systems, and low-level computer science.
• Familiarity with unit and integration testing schemes, version control (Git), and modern front-end web technologies like React, Angular, Vue, JQuery, and RxJs.
• Proficiency with database querying in SQL, including knowledge of indexing/partitioning and paging methods, aggregation, and performance tuning. Familiarity with Data Access Object patterns and object-relational mappers such as SQLAlchemy, Django, Hibernate, or Entity Framework.
• Expert in probability, statistics, and analysis; including classical statistics and hypothesis testing, Bayesian methods, ANOVA, regression analysis, Fourier and wavelet analysis, time-series analysis, and generalized linear models.
• Knowledge of common machine learning techniques (random forests, support vector machines, neural networks, Markov models) and associated numerical techniques (gradient descent, backpropagation, sampling, Markov Chain Monte Carlo, regularization techniques).
Corporate Performance Standards: In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
1. Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
2. Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
3. Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
4. Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
About DIGITALSPEC, LLC
DIGITALSPEC, LLC (DSPEC) is a Small Business Administration (SBA), ISO 9001, 20000, and 27001 company founded in 2005 and headquartered in Fairfax, VA. We are a leading provider of Business Consulting Services and Technical Solution Services delivering true business value and return on investment to Federal clients in the metropolitan Washington, D.C area. DSPEC provides solutions and services in markets such as Homeland Security and Law
Enforcement, Defense and Intelligence, Financial Services, and Social & Citizen Services. We work collaboratively with clients to create solutions that ‘fit’ the client environment and use industry best practices.
Join us at DIGITALSPEC, where we’re engineering Innovations, Solutions, and Results