• Film Intern
Deadline for Application:
Summer Internship: March 31st
Fall Internship: August 19th
Spring Internship: November 3rd
OC Habitats Background and Mission:
The mission of OC Habitats (OCH) is to provide a public service for the many habitats of Orange County, California through conservation efforts, rehabilitation, restoration, education, outreach, volunteerism, monitoring, and partnering with other entities whose goal is to promote the preservation, conservation, and restoration of natural habitats and the species therein. We accomplish this mission with our highly passionate and experienced staff through education and outreach to the public in our habitat education programs, our coastal dune monitoring programs, and our restoration programs around the county. We work collaboratively with other like-minded organizations in and around Orange County to serve people of all ages and backgrounds. We have a more intense focus on school-aged students who we believe are the future stewards of our planet.
Film Intern Projects:
o Work with OCH team (administrators, directors, interns and staff) on the development and publication of videos and slideshows that support and supplement our mission and programs.
o Work within Adobe Premiere or similar editing software
o Work with website applications and social media applications for publication
o Coordinate with different members of the OCH team on content (academic and creative)
o Work in the field, directing team to provide quality material and content for programming
Internship Training could include:
• Leadership/Mentorship – As intern progresses through program the level of responsibility will increase. We would like to see all interns perform in some leadership capacity during their time with us. Interns that choose the 12-month program will have even greater responsibility and the chance to lead new interns and volunteers.
• Public Speaking and Program Development – OCH has a strong base in education and outreach and, therefore, has much need for public speaking in the classroom or at public forums. We like to have each intern participate in at least one public speaking event during their time with us. With current social distancing recommendations this public speaking may be in the form of virtual programming versus in-person programming.
• Teamwork and Collaboration – Interns will meet weekly with the intern team as well as work with board members and volunteers. They will often be asked to collaborate, brain storm, and build a project together. In addition to in-house teamwork, interns may also be asked to work with our partner organizations and agencies to work on specific projects that we are working on together.
• Research and Writing – All OCH interns will participate in research and writing during their time with us. We post a variety of articles through our website and quarterly newsletter that addresses current environmental topics in and around our area.
• Administrative, Business, Marketing and Finance Skills – As a small nonprofit there are many aspects of the organization that the intern will be exposed to and may be asked to help with. This could include scheduling, fundraising and marketing, social media, data manipulation, and more. This aspect is usually a small part of the intern’s overall experience unless intern is an administrative intern with the goal of working on the business side of our organization.
Requirements and Expectations:
o Days/Time: 10 or more hours per week (in office and field), as determined by OCH and intern
o Weekly reports on progress of works or projects as well as bi-monthly evaluations and exit interview at end of internship term.
o Length of internships: 6 - 12 month programs available.
How to apply:
Student can apply through our organization by clicking this link or going to this url: https://app.betterimpact.com/Application?OrganizationGuid=aa79d1b5-7bf2-40dd-a3b8-99e80a603655&ApplicationFormNumber=2
Student should complete the application in as detailed a manner as possible and include a cover letter, resume, and list of references. Once all documents have been reviewed and deemed a potential candidate for the position, an interview will be schedule either in-person or virtual. Cover letter should be addressed to OCH Intern Program, Stacey Chartier-Grable.
Additional information can be sent via to Stacey Chartier-Grable, OCH@ochabitats.org.
Stacey Chartier-Grable, Executive Director/Internship Program Director