Employ to Empower (ETE) supports residents in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside (DTES) community by providing access to development and entrepreneurial resources. Our resources include affordable microloans and business mentorship, with the goal of having a long-term impact on our members’ personal and economic well being. We also actively advocate for creating positive social change in the DTES.
We’re keen to build a group of compassionate and talented community mentors to support our entrepreneurs in ETE’s program.
Title Description: Community Mentor
Reporting To: Christina Wong, Executive Director
Location: Virtual / In Person
Desired Start Date: April 2021
Commitment: 12 months with the possibility of extending the term
Position Type: Volunteer
Your primary roles include hands on support for the entrepreneurs by: Providing personalized 1:1 weekly mentorship, collaboratively building personal and professional goals, sourcing opportunities for the entrepreneur, and overall, being an accountability buddy for the entrepreneur. This position includes a unique blend of business and emotional support.
* Provide flexible, valuable personalized business mentorship to entrepreneurs in the ETE program on a weekly basis at up to three hours per entrepreneur. Meetings may occur in different locations
* Spend time with the entrepreneur outside of business (budget provided monthly) Eg: coffee, walk, going to a game together etc.
* Collaborate with the entrepreneur to identify and reflect on specific goals and actions needed in order to achieve their entrepreneurial ventures
* Be available for up to one hour of client phone call supports per week
* Source and identify other areas of business opportunities for the entrepreneur
* Embraces the idea that learning is bidirectional, and that the mentor is learning equally as much as the entrepreneur
* Compassionate and cares deeply for the DTES community
* Strong understanding how to apply a trauma-informed approach
* Strong understanding basic counselling approaches such as validation, empathy and compassion
* Strong interpersonal skills and high relational empathy
* 2+ years of experience volunteering/working in the DTES
* Clear, concise, and detail-oriented in terms of email, phone, and text communication
* Experience advising high-growth, ambitious startups and initiatives
* Entrepreneurship experience
* Diligent problem solver, who is looking to learn and help when possible
* Keen desire to be a part of something great that positively impacts society especially in times of crisis
* Proactive to collaborate remotely
Must be enrolled in post-secondary education and have completed, or be in the process of completing, a degree related to Arts and Social Sciences, Business, Marketing and/or Counselling.